Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pandan Chiffon


My first successful (sort of) chiffon cake! Had quite a few major failures with my sponge and chiffon cakes and was sooo discouraged. =( Lucky for me there are a lot of really helpful people around such as HHB and her advice really helped me a lot. I was perfectly contented to continue baking chiffon in my round tin but HHB pointed out that the tube is the ensure that heat can be conducted properly. Hence, I took the plunge and bought the tin. =)


As you can see, it's not perfect yet, as the cake shrank slightly while in the oven, resulting in a cake with a slightly dense layer at the bottom. Well, I guess I'll try again. =)


The recipe I'm using is one which I got from a baking class I attended with Creative Culinaire. Their recipes really yield yummy cakes! I actually baked 1 after another cos the first one I baked was finished by my hubby and me right after it cooled. =)

My tin is a 6" tin so I scaled the entire recipe to 2/3 of the original recipe as shown below.



Ingredients (for a 7" chiffon tin and 6 cupcakes)

3 Egg Yolks

20g Sugar

Pinch of salt

20g Corn Oil

36g Coconut Milk

54g Cake flour, sifted

1/4 tsp pandan paste


3 Egg Whites

50g sugar

1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar


Method:
1. Mix egg yolks and 20g sugar.

2. Using a hand whisk, mix corn oil, coconut milk and pandan paste till well blended.

3. Add in sifted cake flour, mix till smooth but do not overmix.

4. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy and slowly pour in the 50g sugar. Whisk till
stiff peak.

5. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the flour mixture to lighten it.

6. Fold in the remaining egg whites.

7. Scoop/pour the batter into chiffon tin till 2/3 full. Scoop the remaining batter into

cupcake/muffin liners.

8. Bake at 190 deg c for about 30 min or till cooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment