Monday, February 8, 2010

Almond Cookies and Horlicks Doggies Cookies - Chinese New Year Bakes

Back to more baking!

In the past, my mum and aunts gather on a yearly basis to bake cookies for cny. However, for many years, it hasn't been the case. I remember about a few years ago, my aunt, who loves to bake too, started bringing home-made cookies to cny visiting for us to try. They were really yummy! Since I started my baking journey last year around Feb, I thought it is a good time to try to bake some cookies. However, as it is my first attempt, I decided to make just a small batch.

The first one I did was almond cookies. As you can see, the cookies are about the size of a 'tang yuan' - the traditional type without fillings. It's cos' DH and I prefer to have smaller cookies.. somehow, they taste more delicious. =)

Overall, they are pretty easy to make but just a little tedious in rolling about 100+ pieces at one go. Haha.. Picture and recipe as follows:


Ingredients

300g plain flour
100g almond nibs (Roasted)
75g icing sugar
90g cooking oil
50g corn oil
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 egg (For brushing)

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 160 deg c. Prepare trays by greasing them with a thin layer of oil.
2) Sieve plain flour, baking powder and baking soda into a big bowl
3) Add salt, icing sugar , baked almond nibs & mix well
4) Add in Corn Oil and cooking oil, knead into a dough, roll each portion of flour dough into a round ball, brush with egg. Bake at 160 degree for 20 mins.



Being the last Saturday before cny, I also made another batch of cookies! It's from Happy Home Baking's website and the doggies look soooo cute. =)

DH had a big hand in making all the cookies but after 2h, he is really trying all ways to entertain himself. Notice all the doggies with different expressions!


One of my fav is the sleeping doggy biscuit in the foreground. Hee..
Look at the last few cookies.. Haha.. we were experimenting and seeing who can make the most creative (or freaky) cookies.. hehe.. All in all, it was a fun but tiring day. For those of you who are interested in the recipe, you can find it here. The final product has a nice buttery taste with a hint of horlicks. =) Go try it!








4 comments:

  1. OMG... they are so so cute.. Good Job! Can make to sell liao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. =) Think not quite up to standard yet..haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher.. If you could find/post the recipe for baking a normal cupcake without icing or whatever, I'd be really grateful! Thanks! Btw, in case you think I'm some sort of stalker, I was your student in sec 2. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha.. I will try.. a bit busy now so I haven't been baking much. I'll try to bake some and then post the recipe here. Cheers!

    P.s Btw, who is this?

    ReplyDelete